Halloween = sugar. Chocolate bars, toffees, candies… my teeth start to hurt just thinking about it! What I love about this stuffed peppers recipe is that it’s a festive twist on a savory dish. You get to feel the spirit of Halloween, with a little less sugar! And they are ADORABLE!
You’ll want a sharp knife that is small enough to make tiny cuts - the fun part really is carving the bell peppers!
- 4 medium orange bell peppers
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce, no sugar added
- 1 cup black beans drained, rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Slice stem end off peppers (save for later). Remove seeds and veins from peppers. Cut a jack-o-lantern face out of one side of each pepper. Stand peppers upright in baking dish and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes, or until almost browned.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add chili powder, cumin, pepper (if desired), tomato sauce, and beans. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add rice, mix well.
- Fill peppers with turkey mixture. Top with reserved stem end of peppers. Add water to the baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Bake peppers for 12-15 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Remove stem top of peppers, sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Replace tops and serve!
Container Equivalents: 2 green, 1 red, 1 yellow, ½ blue, ½ tsp.
2B Mindset Plate It: A great lunch option!
Your friend and coach,
P.S As you may know, my husband is fighting brain cancer (grade 4 glioblastoma). We are opening a cancer fighter/cancer caregiver support group - would you be interested (or someone you know) in joining!?? Tips on cancer, nutrition, health, relationships, etc. all while fighting this horrific disease! Sign up below if you would like to be added!